Denotations: * is co-primary author, and students/advisees are underscored
35. Bremer, L.L., K. Falinski, C. Ching, C.A. Wada, K.M. Burnett, K. Kukea-Shultz, N. Reppun, G. Chun, K.L.L. Oleson, and T. Ticktin (2018). Biocultural restoration of traditional agriculture: cultural, environmental, and economic outcomes of lo’i kalo restoration in Ha’eia, O’ahu. Sustainability. [Bremer et al. 2018]
34. Boyd, J.W., K.J. Bagstad, J.C. Ingram, C.D. Shapiro, J.E. Adkins, C.F. Casey, C.S. Duke, P.D. Glynn, E. Goldman, M. Grasso, J.L. Hass, J.A. Johnson, G. Lange, J. Matusak, A. Miller, K.L.L. Oleson, S.M. Posner, C. Rhodes, F. Soulard, M. Vardon, F. Villa, B. Voigt, and S. Wentland (2018). The natural capital accounting opportunity: let’s really do the numbers. BioScience. [Boyd et al. 2018]
33. Bryant, B.P., M.E. Borsuk, P. Hamel, K.L.L. Oleson, C.J.E. Schulp, S. Wilcock (2018). Transparent and feasible uncertainty assessment adds value to applied ecosystem services modeling. Ecosystem Services. [Bryant et al. 2018]
32. Delevaux, J.M., R. Whittier, K.A. Stamoulis, L.L. Bremer, S. Jupiter, A.M. Friedlander, M. Poti, G. Guannel, N. Kurashima, K.B. Winter, R. Toonen, E. Conklin, C. Wiggins, A. Knudby, W. Goodell, K. Burnett, S. Yee, H. Htun, K.L.L. Oleson, T. Wiegner, T. Ticktin (2018). A linked land-sea modeling framework to inform ridge-to-reef management in high oceanic islands. PLOS ONE. 13(3): e0193230.
31. Donovan, M., A. Friedlander, J. Lecky, J. Jouffray, G. Williams, L. Wedding, L. Crowder, A. Erickson, N. Graham, J. Gove, C. Kappel, K. Karr, J. Kittinger, A. Norström, M. Nyström, K.L.L. Oleson, K. Stamoulis, C. White, I. Williams, and K. Selkoe (2018). Combining fish and benthic communities into multiple regimes reveals complex reef dynamics. Scientific Reports. [Donovan et al. 2018]
30. Ingram, R., K.L.L. Oleson, J. Gove (2018). Revealing complex social-ecological interactions through participatory modeling to support ecosystem-based management in Hawai‘i. Marine Policy 94:180-188. [Ingram et al. 2018]
29. Oleson, K.L.L., S. Grafeld, P. van Beukering, L. Brander, P.A.S. James, and E. Wolfs (2018). Charting progress towards system-scale ecosystem service valuation in islands. Environmental Conservation. Doi:10.107/S0376892918000140 [Oleson et al 2018]
28. Wedding, L.M.*, J. Lecky*, J.M. Gove, H.R. Walecka, M.K. Donovan, G.J. Williams, J. Jouffray, L.B. Crowder, A. Erickson, K. Falinski, A.M. Friedlander, C.V. Kappel, J.N. Kittinger, K. McCoy, A. Norström, M. Nyström, K.L.L Oleson, K.A. Stamoulis, C. White, and K.A. Selkoe (2018). Advancing the integration of spatial data to map human and natural drivers on coral reefs. PLoS One 13(3): e0189792 [Wedding, Lecky et al. 2018]
27. Weijerman, M., L. Veazey, S. Yee, K. Vaché, J.D. Delevaux, M. Donovan, K. Falinski, J. Lecky, and K.L.L. Oleson (2018). Managing local stressors for coral reef condition and ecosystem services delivery under climate scenarios. Frontiers in Marine Science. [Weijerman 2018]
26. Grafeld, S.*, K.L.L. Oleson*, L. Teneva, and J.N. Kittinger. Follow that fish: Uncovering the hidden blue economy in coral reef fisheries. PloS One 12, no. 8 (2017): e0182104. [Grafeld fish 2017]
25. M. Peng, Oleson, K.L.L. (2017). Beach recreationalists’ willingness to pay and economic implications of coastal water quality problems in Hawaii. Ecological Economics 136:41-52. [Peng and Oleson 2017]
24. Oleson, K.L.L., K. Falinski, J. Lecky, C. Rowe, C.V. Kappel, and K. Selkoe (2017). Upstream solutions to coral reef conservation: The payoffs of smart and collaborative decision-making. Journal of Environmental Management 191:8-18. [Oleson et al 2017]
23. Grafeld, S., K.L.L. Oleson, M. Barnes, M. Peng, C. Chan, and M. Weijerman (2016). Divers’ willingness to pay for improved coral reef conditions in Guam: An untapped source of funding for management and conservation? Ecological Economics (128):202-213. [Grafeld 2016]
22. Weijerman, M., C. Grace-McCaskey, S. Grafeld, D. Kotowicz, K.L.L. Oleson, and I. van Putten (2015). Towards an ecosystem-based approach of Guam’s coral reefs: the human dimension. Marine Policy. [Weijerman 2015]
21. McKeon, C.S., M.X. Weber, S.E. Alter, N.E. Seavy, E.D. Crandall, D. Barshis, E. Fletcher-Leggett, and K.L.L. Oleson (2015). Melting barriers to faunal exchange across ocean basins. Global Change Biology. [McKeon 2015]
20. Oliver, T.A.*, K.L.L. Oleson*, H. Ratsimbazafy, D. Raberinary, S. Benbow, and A. Harris (2015). Positive Catch & Economic Benefits of Periodic Octopus Fishery Closures: Do Effective, Narrowly Targeted Actions ‘Catalyze’ Broader Management?. PlosOne 10(6):e0129075. [Oliver et al 2015]
19. Oleson, K.L.L.*, M. Barnes*, L. M. Brander, T. A. Oliver, I. van Beek, B Zafindrasilivonona, P. van Beukering (2015). Cultural bequest values for ecosystem service flows among indigenous fishers: A discrete choice experiment validated with mixed methods. Ecological Economics 114:104-116. [Oleson et al 2015]
18. Kittinger, J.N., L. Teneva, H. Koike, K. Stamoulis, D.S. Kittinger, K.L.L. Oleson, E. Conklin, M. Gomes, B. Wilcox, and A. Friedlander (2015). From reef to table: social and ecological factors affecting coral reef fisheries, artisanal seafood supply chains, and seafood security. PlosOne. [Kittinger et al 2015]
17. Bremer, L., J. Delevaux, L. Cox, J. Leary and K.L.L. Oleson (2015). Opportunities and Strategies to Incorporate Ecosystem Services Knowledge and Decision Support Tools into Planning and Decision Making in Hawai‘i. Environmental Management. [Bremer et al 2015]
16. Barnes-Mauthe*, M., K.L.L. Oleson*, L.M. Brander, B. Zafindrasilivonona, T.A. Oliver, and P. van Beukering (2014). Social capital as an ecosystem service: Evidence from a locally managed area. Ecosystem Services. [Barnes-Mauthe et al 2014]
15. Benbow, S., F. Humber, T. Oliver, K.L.L. Oleson, D. Raberinary, M. Nadon, H. Ratsimbazafy, and A. Harris (2014). Lessons learnt from experimental temporary octopus fishing closures in southwest Madagascar: benefits of concurrent closures. African Journal of Marine Science 36(1): 31-37. [Benbow et al. 2014]
14. Ostergaard-Klem, R. and K.L.L. Oleson (2013). GPI Island Style: Localizing the Genuine Progress Indicator to Hawaii. Environmental Practice. [PDF]
13. Arrow, K., P. Dasgupta, L. Goulder, K. Mumford, and K.L.L. Oleson (2013). Sustainability and the measurement of wealth: Further reflections. Environment and Development Economics. [PDF]
12. Barnes-Mauthe*, M., K.L.L. Oleson*, and B. Zafindrasilivonona (2013). A total economic valuation of small-scale fisheries and characterization of post-landings trends. Fisheries Research. [PDF]
11. Gardner, C., M.E. Nicholl, T. Mbohoahy, K.L.L. Oleson, A.N. Ratsifandrihamanana, J. Ratsirarson, L.R. de Roland, M. Virah-Sawmy, B. Zafindrasilivonona, and Z.G. Davies (2013) Protected areas for conservation and poverty alleviation: experiences from Madagascar. Journal of Applied Ecology. [PDF]
10. Westerman, K., K.L.L. Oleson, and A. Harris (2013). Building socio-ecological resilience to climate change through community-based coastal conservation and development: Experiences in southern Madagascar. Western Indian Ocean Journal of Marine Science 11(1):87-97. [PDF]
9. Arrow, K., P. Dasgupta, L. Goulder, K. Mumford, and K.L.L. Oleson (2012). Sustainability and the measurement of wealth. Environment and Development Economics 17:317-353. [PDF]
8. Munoz, P., E. Darkey, L. Pearson, K.L.L. Oleson, and K. Mumford (2012) Chapter 4: Key findings. Inclusive Wealth Report. (Submitted to RIO+20 Conference on Sustainable Development). [link]
7. Oleson, K.L.L. (2011) Shaky foundations and sustainable exploiters: Problems with using national sustainability measures in a transnational era. Journal of Environment and Development 20(3). [PDF]
6. Arrow, K.J., P. Dasgupta, L. Goulder, K.J. Mumford, and K.L.L. Oleson (2010) “China, the U.S., and Sustainability: Perspectives Based on Comprehensive Wealth” in Is Economic Growth Sustainable? edited by Geoffrey Heal, International Economics Association Volume 148, Palgrave Macmillan, 2010. [PDF]
5. Khagram, S., K. Cahill, D. MacMynowski, J. Warren, E. Richards, K.L.L. Oleson, J. Kitzes, R. Katz, R. Hwang, R. Goldman, J. Funk, and K. Brauman (2010) Thinking about knowing: Intellectual foundations for interdisciplinary research. Environmental Conservation 37(4):388 [PDF]
4. Burke, M., K.L.L. Oleson, E. McCullough, and J. Gaskell (2009) A global model tracking water, nitrogen, and land inputs and virtual transfers from industrialized meat production and trade. Environmental Modeling and Assessment, 14(2):179 [PDF]
3. Oleson, K.L.L., L. Hartzell, and M. Mastrandrea (2009) The baker’s dozen: Key nations can and should act together to prevent further dangerous climate change. Intergenerational Justice Review, 9(3):106 [PDF]
2. Oleson, K.L.L. (2008) Integrating the environment into economics in China – A focus on exports. In E. Au, K. Lam, T. Zhu and M. Partidario (Eds.), International Experience on Strategic Environmental Assessment, Dept. Geog. and Resource Mgmt., The Chinese University of Hong Kong, China [PDF]
1. Galloway, J., M. Burke, E. Bradford, W. Falcon, J. Gaskell, E. McCullough, H. Mooney, R. Naylor, K.L.L. Oleson, V. Smil, H. Steinfeld, T. Wassenaar (2007) International trade in meat. Ambio, 36(8) [PDF]
5. Finkbeiner, E.M., K.L.L. Oleson, J.T. Kittinger (2017). Social resilience in the Anthropocene ocean. In Conservation for the Anthropocene ocean. P. Levin and M. Poe (Eds.). Amsterdam:Elsevier.
4. Oleson, K.L.L., K. Falinski, L. Teneva, S.J. Pittman (2017). Linking landscape and seascape conditions: Science, tools, and management. In Seascape Ecology: Taking landscape ecology into the sea, S.J. Pittman (Ed.). West Sussex:Wiley.
3. Munoz, P., E. Darkey, L. Pearson, K.L.L. Oleson, K. Mumford (2012). Chapter 4: Key findings. In Inclusive Wealth Report 2012. P. Dasgupta, A. Duraiappah, P. Munoz (Eds.). Cambridge UK: Cambridge University Press. This report was submitted to RIO+20 Conference on Sustainable Development.
2. Arrow, K.J., P. Dasgupta, L. Goulder, K.J. Mumford, K.L.L. Oleson (2010). China, the U.S., and Sustainability: Perspectives Based on Comprehensive Wealth. In G. Heal (Ed.), Is Economic Growth Sustainable? International Economics Association, Volume 148, London:Palgrave Macmillan.
1. Oleson, K.L.L. (2008). Integrating the environment into economics in China – A focus on exports. In E. Au, K. Lam, T. Zhu, M. Partidario (Eds.), International Experience on Strategic Environmental Assessment, Dept. Geog. and Resource Mgmt., The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong:China.
5. Gove, J., J. Polovina, W. Walsh, A. Heenan, I.D. Williams, L. Wedding, R.J. Ingram, J. Lecky, K.L.L. Oleson, H. Walecka, S. Heron, C.S. Couch, E.J. Howell (2016). West Hawai‘i Integrated Ecosystem Assessment: Ecosystem Trends and Status Report 2016. NOAA Technical Memorandum.
4. Maynard, J., B. Parker, R. Beeden, J. Tamelander, P. McGowan, L. Gramer, S. Heron, M. Kendall, S. McKagan, E. McLeod, K. Oleson, and S. Pittman (2015). Coral Reef Resilience Research and Management – Past, Present and Future: Workshop Report. Silver Spring, MD: NOAA Coral Reef Conservation Program. NOAA Technical Memorandum CRCP 20. 47pp. doi:10.7289/V5VQ30M9.
3. Ostergaard-Klem, R. and K.L.L. Oleson (2015). The tie between invasive species and the economy. Department of Health Environmental Council’s Annual Report.
2. Ostergaard-Klem, R. and K.L.L. Oleson (2013). Environmental Council Annual Report State of Hawaii.[PDF]
1. Regina Ostergaard-Klem, K.L.L. Oleson (2012) Hawai‘i State Environmental Council Annual Report. [PDF]